Summer is here!! If you’re like us, you’re ready for some warmth, family gatherings, and easy living! One great way to enjoy the many benefits of summer without the drawbacks (like extreme heat and bugs) is to invest in a screened in porch or patio.
When it comes to adding a screened porch addition for you Indianapolis home, there are many options to consider. Sure, a screen porch can be a simple room addition with a roof overhead and standard screening, but, there are many design details and options that can make the space an extension of your home.
Let’s take a look at a few things you’ll want to think about when considering a screened in porch for your home:
- Overall Design details: Any reputable home remodeling contractor should be designing your porch to look as though it was always there. If your design looks like it landed from someone else’s house and onto yours, look for another contractor.
- Porch flooring: There are many options, including pressure-treated decking, composite decking (such as Trex), exotic hardwood decking (such as Ipe), standard concrete slab or decorative stamped concrete. Hey, do yourself a favor: IF you have a porch built over a deck, MAKE SURE your contractor installs insect mesh screening over the joists. No point in having screened walls when the bugs can come up thru the floor! Most contractors leave off this important step.
- Porch ceiling: Ceiling design can either be flat, vaulted or cathedral. Lower quality porches may have exposed rafters (unless its a purposeful design element). Plywood sheets are common as a screen porch ceiling. For an upgrade, look for beaded ceiling planks.
- Porch screening: Of course there is always the standard fiberlgass or aluminum mesh screening which will get the job done. For extra durability, especially for those who have pets or children, look into Phifer pet screening. An even cooler option is to consider Eze-Breeze’s porch panels, which can help extend the usability of your porch. This unique system incorporates both a screen panel and a window-like poly panel, which can be raised or lowered depending on the weather.
- Lighting: The simplest of porches will use an existing exterior wall-mouted light fixture which does the job. An upgrade would be the installation of a ceiling fan/light combo unit. Further options might include accent wall lighting and recessed can lighting in the ceiling.
- Options: Options can be basic or luxurious. Install a cable TV outlet in the wall and mount a flat panel tv is popular. Do you like to entertain? Then consider a bar area with features such as a refrigerator and a built-in grill. For a grill, make sure you install a hood above to vent the fumes! To really extend your living spaces outdoors, fireplaces seem to be a popular trend to consider.
No matter what your budget or taste, there are many options to consider when thinking about adding a screened porch to your Indianapolis area home.
Check out more before and after screened porch remodeling picturers here.
Eze-Breeze Porch and Patio Enclosures
We especially reccomend Eze-Breeze Porch and Patio Enclosures for those who want to enjoy that outdoor feel for more of the year.
Most porches and patios provide a fun space for portions of the year, but lack versatility and are unusable for much of the year due to Indiana’s harsh weather in the height of summer and winter. For those looking to spend less of the year cooped up inside, an Eze-Breeze enclosure offers freedom and flexibility.
Eze-Breeze is worth considering if:
- You only have a small space and want an inexpensive extension of outdoor living
- You love the outdoors – but hate the bugs and extreme weather
- You don’t like covering the porch furniture or storing it for the winter
Some more benefits of Eze-Breeze porch and patio enclosures include:
- The ability to transform porches, patios and other outdoor spaces into comfortable, spacious rooms
- A vinyl-glazed product that is remarkably strong, shatterproof and flexible
- The benefit of glass without the cost or weight
- Protection from unpleasant weather, bugs, dust and dirt
- It beautifies and complements the architecture or style of any home
- It creates comfortable, spacious rooms out of open spaces
Get in Touch With the Gettum Associates Team
If you’re ready to get started on your renovation project, you’ll want to download our guide: Seven Questions to Ask When Choosing a Remodeler in the Indianapolis Area.