Is your home a museum of 70s flooring styles?
That might be a good thing if you’re a flooring archaeologist, but if you want a gorgeous, modern home, choosing new flooring is essential. Plus, the right floor can make a world of difference to the feel and flow of your home all by itself!
Do you want a rustic and naturally luxurious hardwood floor that matches an organic interior-design theme? Are you focused on a flooring installation that tolerates the high amounts of traffic and camouflages dirt from your family? With so many flooring options, selecting the right floor that meets your aesthetic and functional needs can feel overwhelming.
Use the following flooring guide to help you select an attractive, durable floor befitting for your home and lifestyle. We’ll help you get started on selecting premier flooring that you’ll love!
Hardwood exudes elegance and luxury. A deep, rich cherry hardwood creates a dramatic, organic atmosphere. Choose country maple to lighten a space and reverberate sunshine. If hardwood meets your aesthetic vision, then you’ll choose between two constructions:
- Engineered: Consists of hardwood, plywood or HDF and a top layer of hardwood veneer that is glued on the surface. Engineered hardwood has maximum stability, versatility and moisture and heat prevention.
- Solid: Solid hardwood is characterized by its thick top wear layer that can be repeatedly sanded and refinished. Solid hardwood’s interlocking tongue and groove milling provides structural strength.
Vinyl floors can mimic the look of hardwood, stone and ceramic tile. Sheet vinyl is the most affordable and is easy to install. Vinyl tile also has a four-layer construction which includes:
- Urethane wear layer: Withstands scratches and scuffs
- Protective clear film: Protects from tears and gouging
- Printed design: Contains colors and patterns
- Structural backing: Provides strength and durability
Laminate flooring has come a long way, with convincing grain and textures to mimic wood or stone tiles. It’s an affordable and flexible material that can be installed in any space. If you’re a young family maintaining a fact-paced household, laminate floors are an excellent choice because:
- They are low maintenance
- There is a wide selection of colors, styles and patterns
- They are resistance to impact, scratching, fading and stains
- There are many trim and molding options
Laminate floors can be installed with a floating technique. The planks aren’t glued, nailed or stapled down, rather secured by the tongue-and-groove interlocking system.
Ceramic, stone and porcelain tile flooring can create an upscale look. Natural stone is a beautiful and versatile flooring material. From a grand foyer to a luxurious-looking kitchen, the following natural stones will provide an beautiful element to your interior space:
Because of its high durability, smoothness and low maintenance, granite is a premium choice for kitchen floors that experience high traffic and impact. Install marble in formal spaces and hallways for its refined and cultured qualities.
Get in Touch With the Gettum Associates Team
With so many options to choose from, getting design help will ensure that you’re making an informed decision.
Plus, if you’re ready to get started on a renovation project, you’ll want to download our guide: Seven Questions to Ask When Choosing a Remodeler in the Indianapolis Area.